THE MERCANTILE MARINE WAR MEDAL
Obverse: An Uncrowned Effigy of King George V surrounded by the legend “GEORGIVS V BRITT:OMN:REX ET IND:IMP:”.
Reverse: A merchant ship at sea with a sailing ship in the background. At the bottom, in three lines, are the words “FOR WAR & PEACE, MERCANTILE MARINE, 1914 – 1918”.
Size: 36mm in diameter.
Ribbon: 32mm wide. A green stripe on the left and a red stripe on the right, with a 4mm white stripe down the centre. The red and green represent the port and starboard lights of a ship
Suspension: By a plain, straight, non-swiveling suspender bar.
Instituted in 1919, this bronze medal was awarded to all members of the Merchant Navy who had served for six months or more and had undertaken one or more voyages through a war or danger zone during the first world war.