ASSOCIATE OF THE ROYAL RED CROSS
Obverse: A Maltese cross, the arms of which are joined to a circle at their inner end. Within the circle is an effigy of the head of the Sovereign. The four arms of the cross are red enamel.
Reverse: Within the circle is the Royal Cypher and on the four arms of the cross are the words “FAITH”, “HOPE”, “CHARITY” and the date “1883”.
Size: 38mm across the arms of the cross.
Ribbon: 28mm wide, the ribbon is dark blue with 7mm wide red stripes at each edge.
Suspension: By means of an eyelet attached to the upper arm of the cross and to a brooch. A bow shaped ribbon covers the brooch. If a second award bar is worn, this is fixed between the eyelet and the ribbon.
The Associate of the Royal Red Cross was instituted by Royal Warrant on 10th November 1915. Recipients of this award are designated “Associates of the Royal Red Cross”.
The award is made to trained nurses who have shown special devotion in nursing the sick and wounded of the military forces, or who have performed some exceptional act of bravery at their post of duty. The Crosses are issued unnamed. There is provision for promotion from Associates of the Royal Red Cross to Members of the Royal Red Cross.
With the Associate of the Royal Red Cross, the awards to New Zealanders were seventy three during the First World War, twenty two during the Second World War and twenty eight between 1945 and 1990.