THE CONSPICUOUS GALLANTRY MEDAL
Obverse: A Crowned Effigy of the Sovereign.
Reverse: On the reverse is a laurel wreath, in the top centre of which is a crown. Within the area bordered by the wreath is the legend “FOR CONSPICUOUS GALLANTRY”.
Size: 37mm in diameter.
Ribbon: 32mm wide, the ribbon is light blue with a 5mm dark blue stripe at each edge.
Suspension: By a plain suspender bar.
Founded originally in 1855 for gallantry by petty officers and below of the Navy and sergeants and below of the Royal Marines, this medal was discontinued after the Crimean War. In 1874 the medal was revived for the above servicemen for conspicuous acts of gallantry. Bars may be awarded for further acts of gallantry, although only one has been awarded.
In 1943 King George VI created The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying) for warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and airmen of the Air Force. This medal has a different ribbon. The ribbon for the Navy is white with dark blue edges, while the ribbon for Flying is light blue with dark blue edges.
This is one of the rarest of British gallantry awards, there being only 108 Naval awards during the First World War, seventy two during the Second World War and 103 Flying awards from 1943 to 1945.
There were five awards of The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Flying) to members of the Royal New Zealand Air Force during the Second World War. The Conspicuous Gallantry Medal (Navy) has not been awarded to a member of the New Zealand forces.
Details of the recipient are recorded on the rim.