THE VOLUNTEER LONG SERVICE MEDAL
Obverse: The crowned and veiled bust of Queen Victoria surrounded by the legend “VICTORIA REGINA ET IMPERATRIX”.
Reverse: The inscription “FOR LONG SERVICE IN THE VOLUNTEER FORCE”.
Size: 36mm in diameter.
Ribbon: 32mm wide, the ribbon is dark green.
Suspension: By a plain straight swiveling suspender.
The Volunteer Long Service Medal was authorised in the New Zealand Gazette No. 13 on 24 February 1898. It had previously been instituted in the United Kingdom in 1894 by Queen Victoria in a Royal Warrant, and extended to the colonies on 13 June 1896.
It was awarded to officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the New Zealand Volunteer Force who had completed 20 years service. The award was superseded on 30 April 1902 by The Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal.
A total of 361 medals were awarded.